Monday, June 08, 2009

11.2kg in barely 7 months UNBELIEVABLE? believe it

Yeah I know I have to blog about the SG trip but I think it would be too long and thinking about it makes me tired even if I havent typed anything yet. So now I am writing about what happened today...

This morning we went to Child health care here in SEria. As I have mentioned before the Hospitals here are free for everyone, yes even the medicines and vaccines are free. Great! So I thought. But nothing is really free right? We have a 1:30 appointment at the clinic we went there early coz we dont want to be late. Turns out many others have a 1:30 appointment with the clinic. I took a number and its #15 already. Aiyks, hubby is only supposed to be late for work now I think he couldnt go back to office
anymore.

We are not adept in their language, we dont even understand a sentence. We knew how much - barapa, how old - apa bulan, what milk - apa susu and some other words but has never communicated much. We feel like we are aliens when we speak English in a Malay Hospital, so much so, we feel neglected and unwelcome because we dont speak the language. Maybe its culture maybe not. I think we got to learn how to communicate with them if we want to have the FREE services their country can give us.

So the first stop is the "Examination Room" where the parents measure baby's weight, height and head circumference. I put it in the paper, a 2" x 3" paper, height 71, head 46cm, weight 11.2kg no clothes on. I gave it to the attending nurse to put in Thea's record and we went back to the waiting area because the number in the monitor says #2. Meaning 12 more to go. I told hubby he may go back to work and fetch us later.

Minutes later after Alvin left the nurse called my name. Their diction is very different so I have to hear it twice before it would register that it really was me she was calling. She led me and Thea inside the "exam room" and asked me to weigh her again. I couldnt figure the reason at first but when she told me "You wrote 11.2kg we want to check" I almost grinned. I knew there was no mistake.

Upon knowing that she really weigh that much, she told me that she is "over over" weight. SHe asked me the routine questions I keep on getting everytime there's a check up: How big is she when she's born? Apa Susu? How much milk does she take daily? How about solid? Haaay...

Last time we went there was March, which explains why they dont know her record.

Thea is over weight for her age alright but she is healthy. Now I miss the pedia in the Philippines. Here we dont have a monthly check up. If they only check her regularly I think they wont be 'that' surprised everytime they see her.

BTW, the staff at the 2nd stop said we need to go back on August 8 for the second shot of flu vaccine we had her first at the "paying" hospital. 3rd stop was the Senior Doctor she said we should give Thea antibiotic and antibacterial cream for the ear infection ( the piercing at the right ear doesnt seem to heal) - Alvin and I decided not to give the antibiotic.At the 4th stop, the 'vaccination room' the nurse said we need to go back on June 27 for the second shot of flu vaccine. The gap should be a month from the first shot. Huh???

Now, should we go back to the FREE clinic?

No comments:

verse of the day